To make the Slippery Edge website work properly and to improve the browsing experience, cookies – small text files are placed on your device.
- If you disable the cookies that we use, this may impact your user experience while on the Slippery Edge website.
What are cookies?
Cookies are files or pieces of information that may be stored on your computer (or other internet-enabled devices, such as smartphones and tablets) when you visit the Slippery Edge website. A cookie will usually contain the name of the website from which the cookie has come, the “lifetime” of the cookie (i.e. how long it will remain on your device) and a value, which is usually a randomly generated unique number.
What types of cookies do we use?
Two types of cookies may be used on the Slippery Edge website: “session cookies” and “persistent cookies”. Session cookies are temporary cookies that remain on your device until you leave the Slippery Edge website. A persistent cookie remains on your device for much longer, or until you manually delete it (how long the cookie remains on your device will depend on the duration, or “lifetime”, of the specific cookie and on your browser settings).
During your visit to the Slippery Edge website the following cookies can be created:
1. Cookies for specific functions within the Slippery Edge website
This type of cookies is used to store your preferences in terms of functions and services provided by our site. For example: avoiding duplicate votes when awarding stars based on how much you liked a certain article.
2. Cookies for anonymous traffic statistics
Each time you visit the Slippery Edge website, anonymous cookies are created in order to collect traffic statistics. These cookies are produced by third party services such as Google Analytics and are used to know:
- if you visited our website in the past
- how many visitors we have and how often you visit our website
- how many views each individual website page is making and the time spent in each
- what was the source that generated your visit
To opt-out from Google Analytics: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
3. Cookies for Google Adsense/DoubleClick advertising functions
To compensate it’s running and maintenance costs, the Slippery Edge website uses Google Adsense to serve ads. Google uses the DoubleClick cookie on publisher websites displaying AdSense for content ads. The DoubleClick cookie is used by Google in the ads served on the websites of its partners, such as websites displaying AdSense ads or participating in Google certified ad networks. When users visit a partner’s website and either view or click on an ad, a cookie may be dropped on that end user’s browser. This means that:
- Google’s use of the DoubleClick cookie enables it and its partners to serve ads based on a user’s visit to this website and/or other websites on the Internet
- Users may opt out of the use of the DoubleClick cookie for interest-based advertising by visiting Ads Settings
4. Other advertising cookies
Some of the ads on the Slippery Edge website are served outside the Slippery Edge website or DoubleClick. This means that third-party vendors and ad networks could also be serving ads on this website creating third-party cookies.
5. Other third party cookies
- Facebook policy: https://www.facebook.com/help/cookies/
- Twitter policy: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170514/
- Linkedin policy: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/cookie-policy/
- Google+ policy: http://www.google.it/intl/en/policies/technologies/cookies/
- LinkedIn policy: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/cookie-policy/
- Pocket policy: https://www.pocketliving.com/cookie-policy/
- Reddit policy: https://www.reddit.com/help/privacypolicy/
- Google policy: https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/
- Vimeo policy: https://vimeo.com/cookie_policy/
Since The Slippery Edge is based on WordPress and makes use of the Jetpack plugin you might want to refer to their respective cookie policies too.
- WordPress policy: https://en.support.wordpress.com/cookies/
- Jetpack policy: https://jetpack.com/support/cookies/
How to control, disable or delete cookies?
Most internet browsers are initially set up to accept cookies automatically. Cookies which are stored on the hard drive of your device can still be deleted and you can change your browser’s settings to block cookies, or to alert you when cookies are being sent to your device. If you disable the cookies that we use, this may impact your experience while on the Slippery Edge website. For example: you may not be able to visit certain areas of the Slippery Edge website, or you may have a limited experience. If you use different devices to view and access the Slippery Edge website (e.g. your computer, smartphone, tablet etc.) you will need to ensure that each browser on each device is adjusted to suit your cookie preferences. There is a number of ways to manage cookies. To learn more about how to adjust or modify your browser settings please refer to your browser instructions. You can disable cookies by following directions provided by the main browsers, at the following links:
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647/
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored/
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/delete-manage-cookies/
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/privacy/
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17191/
Disabling cookies is a reversible process so you can always enable cookies back, if you change your mind.